June 28 was our 5th wedding anniversary. Gord and I went to a great place called Adirondack Extreme. It is the only one in the United States, and we are lucky to have it in our backyard. It is a "ropes course" in the trees. We had the best time. (the reason most pictures are of me, is that Gord had the camera in his pocket.)This was as we were just starting out. There were four courses...and they got harder as you went along. I believe this is the first course...and we thought this was a challenge...in looking back, that was quite easy to cross.
This is on the second course. You took a rope across, and landed on the cargo net. It was like being on American Gladiators. I swung too hard into the net, and of course bounced off the net and then started losing my grip...lucky for me, we were clipped into a harness, and I was able to get back on the net...where you have to climb up. This was about 15 feet off the ground.
Gordo on one of the many zip lines. They got longer (and higher) as the courses progressed. I think they were the most fun. At the end of the course, there is a zip line that is probably 500 yards long. (we didn't get to do it...I'll explain further down the post).
Course three (The Emotion Course)...this is where things started to get tricky. See the red line...that is what you are clipped onto in case you fall. Those wood beams I am standing on are connected by black ropes...they swing ALL OVER THE PLACE. The challenge was to move from one beam to the next...about 40 feet in the air!!
Gord and I made it to the challenge course. This is the fourth and final course, and it is the biggest challenge. When we arrived that day, it had drizzled a little rain...but the sun came out and we were having a great time. We had just finished a big challenge, and we then climbed a ladder to approx. 60-80 feet in the air. Another challenge...and we were just beginning a new one (think tight rope)...when the rain started, the thunder roared, and lightening flashed. HMMM...80 feet in the air...on a metal wire...in the forest, that is not the best place to be in a lightening storm. So you ask? What happened? Well there are guides in red shirts all over on the ground, and they kicked into rescue mode. They were like monkeys in the trees. Next thing you know they are up in the trees with us, ready to rapel (sp?) us to the ground. BUT...I had to get across the next challenge to be rescued..and Gord had the tight rope and the next challenge. (see below...the picture is of the challenge...the girl in blue was the person in front of me!!)


0 comments:
Post a Comment